Friday, May 18th
Whether you’re heading to work, school or errands, Friday, May 18, 2012 is the day to leave your car home and hop in the saddle. We want to see swarms of cyclists from dawn to dusk and we’ve got a day planned to tickle your two-wheeling fancies. From “Park & Bike” at Newport Grand, to our Bike Commuter Breakfast, to FREE admission at the Breakers, to historic Bike Tours, to a police-escorted Community Bike Ride, to a fabulous Bike Fair, and ending with the delightful 1979 bike flick Breaking Away at JPT – it’s all happening on May 18! See schedule details below.
And don’t miss the Bike to Work Day Poster Series all over town – see if you can spot all six of our local celebs on wheels!
BIKE TO WORK DAY PAGES: MAIN PAGE WITH SCHEDULE – INFORMATION FOR EMPLOYERS – COMMUTER REGISTRATION (Helpful, but not required) – TOUR REGISTRATION – PARK & BIKE – COMMUTER TIPS – POSTER PROJECT – B2WD IN THE NEWS – BUSINESS SUPPORTERS – BIKE SAFETY
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
All activities at Washington Square (unless otherwise noted)
ALL ACTIVITIES FREE (unless otherwise noted)
- 6:00am – 9:30am: Commuter Breakfast
- 10:30am: Special Event: Bicycle tour to Newport Mansions with mansion historian John Tschirch.
Register here. First come, first served!
- 11:00 am: Bike Fair begins. Activities include:
- Bike Safety
- Bike Maintenance
- Bike Rentals
- Bike Spinning
- Bike Tech
- 1:00pm: Press Conference
- 2:00pm: Bicycle Tour to Newport Mansions. Registration advised, not required. Limited spots.
- 3:00pm: Bicycle decorating begins
- 4:00pm: Community Bike Ride (click here for Map)
- 4:00pm: Bike valet parking begins
- 5:00pm: Entertainment begins
- 7:30pm: Bike Fair ends – enjoy the local shops and restaurants, until …
- 8:00 pm: Breaking Away (1979) at Jane Pickens Theater ($10 admission, with portion to Bike Newport)