Bike Newport, spearheaded by a representative group of Newport city stakeholders has made a great deal of progress since our May 20 inaugural Bike to Work Day – with a significant focus on bicycle education. We are working with the city, police, schools, businesses, NCCVB, community organizations and residents to reach more cyclists and to reinforce the rules of the road. As we improve the way we ride and the way we use the roads we have, we’ll be able to make progress on improving our roads and bicycle
routes. Progress to date includes:
– the first ever Bicycle Map of Newport (funded in part by the NCCVB) – nearly 3000 copies distributed in June and July to visitors and residents.
– 14 business-sponsored bike racks in production! Phase II Call for Designs by Newport Artists in the works. Stay tuned!
– Newport Police carrying Rules of the Road to distribute to cyclists breaking the law – as warnings or in combination with citations. Police pads produced by Bike Newport. Printing donated by Staples.
– 1518 completed student surveys on bicycling in Newport (Bike Newport / Newport Public Schools collaboration)
– Student Bicycle Maintenance Center in Progress. This Rogers/Salve/Met School collaboration is located at the Tech Ed site behind Rogers with a satellite location at the Met School. Watch for calls for bike mechanics and other community mentors!
– City Council Workshop and Community Bicycling Survey in the works!
– Community Leaders Workshop: Bicycling in Newport 101 for City Leaders – scheduled for 9/10/11, participation by invitation. What does it mean to follow the law on a bicycle? How do you turn left onto Memorial from Bellevue heading north? and more. Let’s understand what we are asking of cyclists in Newport.
– Bike Newport Weekly Community Rides to begin IMMINENTLY. Stay tuned and sign up here (top right of this page) for ALERTS.
– and many more community-based initiatives
The BIKE NEWPORT COMMITTEE includes:
Chuck Albrecht, NUWC
Chris Benzak, Newport BioDiesel
Rebecca Bolan, Newport School Committee
Paul Cardoza, Salve Regina U Health Coordinator
Deanna Casey, AARP
Ofcr Jonathan Cortes, Newport Police Dept
Tina Dolen, AIPC
Charles Duncan, Newport City Council
Keith Dunne, Bicycle Mechanic
Richard Durishin, US Open Cycling Foundation
Christina Erwin, Newport Bicycle
Kathryn Farrington, Newport Convention and Visitors Bureau
Caroline Frey, Newport Public Schools, Curriculum Director
Bari George, Bike Newport, Coordinator
Steve Heath, East Bay Met School
Allison McNally, SAIC
Pauline Perkins-Moye, Florence Gray Center
Rob Purdy, Newport Bicycle
Brian Rurak, Owner, T3 Fitness, Chamber of Commerce
Doug Sabetti, Newport Energy and Environment Commission
Marilyn Warren, Martin Luther King Jr Community Center
Chris Witt, AIPC
Trip Wolfskehl, Newport Businessman/Artist/ Project One Newport
Merrilee Zellner, Newport International Hostel, Chamber of Commerce