Rhode RulesSign Up For a Bicycle Safety Class When biking in Newport take care on the rhode! Please pay attention to all users of the roads – cars, buses, bikes, pedestrians and yachts (you never know). Remember, the same rules apply to cars and bicycles. Obey all traffic signs and signals and be sure to follow the direction of traffic on all streets, including, perhaps especially, on our charming historic narrow one-way roads. Be careful in traffic. Watch for cars at cross streets, driveways and parking places. Make eye contact with motorists. Check over your shoulder frequently, but keep your balance. Stay alert to everyone and everything using the road. • Bicycles are not permitted on the Newport, Jamestown and Sakonnet Bridges. • Newport is famous for its charming, historic one-way streets. Stay alert and read signs. • Newport is a busy summer destination, be careful of tourist traffic.
Bike Lanes Explained
Obey Local LawsView as PDF
- Obey all traffic signs and signals.
- Ride in the same direction as the traffic.
- Always use hand signals. Don’t use sidewalks if 13 years or older.
- Give pedestrians the right of way.
- Use the appropriate lane. Do not stay in a right-turning lane when going straight.
- Be careful at intersections. Watch for turning vehicles.
- Make eye contact with motorists.
- Check the road behind you often.
- Watch out for suddenly opening car doors.
- Stay in a straight line.
- Avoid dodging between parked cars.
- Always use lights at night and early morning.
- Wear a helmet. REQUIRED up to 15 years old and smart for EVERYONE.
6,998 total views, 2 views today