May is National Bike Month, promoted by the League of American Bicyclists and celebrated in communities from coast to coast. Established in 1956, National Bike Month is a chance to showcase the many benefits of bicycling — and to giving biking a try.
Here’s what we’re up to at Bike Newport. We’d love you to join us at any of these events, with some activities designed for you and your friends and family to try out yourself.
All of May for Bike Month
• Kick off bike month with some TLC and a tune-up for your bike at The Annex – 10% discount on tune-ups
The season’s warmer weather and longer days have many people ready to take to the road again. Bring your bike to The Annex for service and save 10% during Bike month!
We’ll also be at the Bike Garage to help you learn how to do it yourself offering guidance and helping hand – Mon & Thurs 4:30-7pm and Wed 2-5pm
• Self-guided Tour – Check out our Maps & Rides Page for bike routes of all types.
• Bike Month Bingo – Head out on your bike and see how many you can do during Bike Month. Having fun? Keep it up all year!
• Bicycle Scavenger Hunt – Take your bike out into your neighborhood and beyond to see what you can find, photograph them all, and put them all in one post on Facebook or Instagram. Tag @bikenewportri #bikenewportri and contribute to the bike community fun! Good luck and happy riding!
Scavenger Hunt items to find:
- A public bicycle pump (if you’re in Newport, RI, you can cheat by locating one on our Resources page – and be sure to top off your tires while you’re there)
- Cherry blossoms
- A magnolia tree
- A cool manhole cover
- A mural
- A windvane
- A “Widow’s Walk”
- A house built before 1800
- A bike rack that you love
- An historic landmark
- View of the sea
- Someone else on a bike!
Wednesday May 3rd
• Bike to School Day – Help us spread the word by inviting Pell students, parents/guardians, families, friends and community partners to join us in riding to school.
We will be gathering at the Big Blue Bike Barn at 7:15, riding to the Pell Elementary school together promptly at 7:45am to be at school in time to lock up bikes, get some goodies, and for students to start their school day at 8:30am. Bike riding police officers will join Bike Newport Cycling Instructors to help lead the ride smartly and safely. Everyone who rides will sign a liability waiver – parents/guardians please accompany your student to the Bike Barn in time to sign this.
MEET: Big Blue Bike Barn, 20 Sunset Blvd.
TIME: Meet and get ready 7:15am. Ride out at 7:45am.
BIKES AND HELMETS: Students and adults should bring their own if possible. We will also have a few to borrow – first come, first served basis. Alternatively, if students would like to get a bike before May 3rd, they can come with an adult to Bike Newport HQ, 62 Broadway during Open Garage hours (Mon & Thur 4;30-7pm, and Wednesdays 2-5pm.)
LOCKS: If students bring their own bikes they can lock them up at school – we will bring some locks.
GIVEAWAYS: There will be some giveaways for those for students who ride to school.
Please help us to encourage as many Pell students, their friends and families to bike to school. Another option might be for students to join others and form groups in their neighborhoods to travel to the Bike Barn, or ride to school together using a different route.
Friday May 5th
Friday May 19th
• Bike to Work Day
7:00-9:00am Commuter Breakfast – On the front lawn of City Hall. Bike Newport will be holding a commuter breakfast. Ride your bike and meet us there!
4:30-5:30pm Fun Ride – an after-work ride around downtown Newport, meeting at 4:30pm and rolling out at 5pm.
Saturday 13th – Sunday 21st
• Ocean Race Newport – Bike Newport will have a booth in the Educational Zone. Swing by and see us and our interactive activities including a virtual reality (VR) experience that will take you through the iconic Claiborne Pell Bridge, Newport RI, on foot or on bicycle, while taking in breathtaking views of Narragansett Bay. This is made possible through a collaboration by Rhode Island School of Design RISD Architecture and Bike Newport!
Everyone who’s riding a bike is advocating for safer streets and bike infrastructure. That’s you – thanks for making a statement for more and better biking! Get your family and friends to join you – and enjoy all the benefits to health, happiness and environment.
Why do YOU Ride? While you’re out, take some pics and tag us! We love to see people enjoying the ride!